Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A day in the life of....


Just about every day something crazy happens in my classroom. Today, there were a few crazy things to say the least. One of my students (keep in mind they are 7 years old) was leading the class through the daily news routine. This particular student, we'll call him Mike, reminds me of PigPen, you know, Charlie Brown's buddy. Mike walks around all the time with his shirt mis-buttoned, fuzz in his hair, wader pants with holes in the knees, shoes untied, shirt dingy and untucked (they wear uniforms). So today I asked him to fix himself because "a leader needs to look like a leader." He takes a look at himself and just doesn't see the problem. Sitting on the floor in front of him is one of my naughtiest students, we'll call him Jason. Jason is very quiety leaning over his criss-crossed legs tying Mike's shoes for him. This actually took my breath away. None of us even noticed Jason tying Mike's shoes and then I noticed it and when Jason realized I saw what he was doing, he froze, like I was going to yell at him or something. Mike thanked Jason and the routine went on, but just that little act of kindness from Mike (this was a HUGE deal for him to do someone a favor) made me smile and remember why I do what I do.

This next paragraph will remind me why my job drives me nuts. I picked the kids up from music and when we entered our classroom, one of my girls puked all over her desk. Lovely. I quickly call maintenance and then as I'm trying to call her mother, I'm faintly aware of 2 other girls whining and tapping me and calling my name. Well, as all teachers know, I have learned to ignore this action. Not 2 seconds later both of these girls wet their pants. As if I don't already have enough drama for the moment. A puker and 2 pee-ers. What next?

Once again, never a dull moment.

No comments: