Saturday, April 15, 2006

VACATION?


As this week started, I was so EXCITED because we had kids until Wednesday, then an inservice (professional development) on Thursday, and then SPRING BREAK!! To me, spring break is more exciting than Christmas vacation. Why? Because there's only 1 holiday to worry about, it's time for spring cleaning and spring clothes shopping (which is another topic for another day in itself), and summer vacation is just around the corner. So, needless to say, I was looking forward to a short work week and beautiful weather! After sending the students packing on Wednesday with their VERY THICK homework packets ("Aw, Miss O, do we have to do it all?"), Thursday was sure to go by speedy quick. When I woke up, my throat hurt a little, but I figured it was because I slept with the window open. I dressed in my favorite "dress down day" joggin suit and drove the 25 miles to work on a natural high, along with a double-double from Tim Horton's. Yeah!

I spent 2 hours in my classroom getting things cleaned and ready for when we come back. I chatted happily (chirped, as Kenny would say) with co-workers, then we went upstairs to the meeting. As the day progressed, my throat got worse, and I started to ache. Not the ache that means you're just tired, the one that means you need to get to a doctor for antibiotics. I declined a lunch date with a couple other teachers and spent the hour and a half at my desk trying not to sleep. The rest of the afternoon I nodded off so many times during the meeting that I lost count. I felt miserable, worse with every hour. I went straight home and straight to the couch with Tylenol and water, and of course Kenny insisted on giving me tea too. I felt like it could be allergies, a bad cold, or a sinus infection. Friday morning, the first day of my VACATION, I felt 10 times worse and went to the doctor. By 3pm I was in Kenny's truck going to pick up my meds...it was a sinus infection. The rest of Friday was a blur between sleeping, sneezing, taking meds, kicking the covers off or complaining that I didn't have enough on. Poor Kenny, he didn't know whether my moods were coming or going. But he was awesome and got me through the worst part of it. I woke this morning feeling slightly better, less pressure on my head but still REALLY tired and congested. I hope to feel well enough for us to go to church tomorrow on Easter Sunday.

I've had a sinus infection before, and it's no trip down pleasant lane. At least this time I know what to expect. I'm just bummed that the first part of my vacation will be spent recooperating from a sickness, when I should be recooperating from the kids! Oh well, either way, I'm on the couch at home in my sweats. That's still a vacation, isn't it???

No comments: