Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Banshee


For the longest time now Kenny and I have been referring to the word banshee. It comes up in conversations like this:

Me: I'm as tired as a banshee.
Kenny: A banshee?
Me: A banshee...(then we both laugh)
Kenny: I slept like a banshee last night.
Me: A banchee?
Kenny: Yup, a banshee.


And then, occasionally:

Me: What do you think banshee means?
Kenny: I don't know.
Me: Let's google it.
Kenny: No, cause then we can't use it the way we do. It'll have a meaning and that just takes the fun out of saying it.


Well, tonight I googled it and this is what I got:

BANSHEE:
In Irish legend, a Banshee is a female spirit/fairy that wails to warn of a death. The word 'banshee' comes from the old Irish words 'ben', a woman, and 'side' a fairie, and means 'woman of the fairies'. The legend of the Banshees has been an integral part of Irish folklore for hundreds of years.

I haven't broken the news to Kenny yet, but I don't think I'll be using the word in the pretenses that we have been saying it lately. He's right....finding out what banshee means took all the fun out of it.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

That picture is one of the freakiest things I've seen. Creepy. I'm as scared as a banshee! (:) hehehe)