Sunday, June 03, 2007

Weekends go too fast. All the time. I feel like I just woke up from my Friday afternoon nap. But it's already Sunday night. I have 9 more days of school with the kids. This has been the best teaching year. E V A H!!! I HEART these kids so much. It creates an uncomfortable feeling of anxiety when I think about the year coming to an end because they are so much a part of my life. Not that in the past my students weren't special to me. They all were. It's just this group is like family. I actually cried a little in the car yesterday when I thought about them not being mine next year. They will be someone else's. Ewwww. Don't like that thought at all. I'm just not ready to give them up yet. The end of the year is always a ball of emotions. Glad for the much needed vacation. But not looking forward to saying goodbye. And this year feels like it will be so much harder. I've only cried in front of my class once, last year, when one of my students (who ADORED me, which makes it that much harder) had to move away, and it was time for her to leave on her last day. She jumped into my lap and started crying that she didn't want to leave, and her dad happened to walk in the room right at that second, and she held on to the back of my neck and sobbed. The WHOLE class was watching this. I let her cry for a minute, and then her dad signaled for me to let her go. I tried. I swear I did. But she wouldn't budge. Then I couldn't hold back the tears either anymore. Finally her dad pried her away and took her to his car. He came back and asked if she could call me on the phone. So we kept in touch for a little while on the phone, and it made us both feel better. That's how I feel about not just one student that I have right now, but ALL of them. It's not going to be easy. I just have to prepare myself for it. I know I'll be fine. I'll see these kids every day in the hallway next year. I'm just going to enjoy them for the last 9 days. As I've done for the last 172 school days. Monday's only 2 hours away. Here goes nothin.

4 comments:

Tasha said...

Aww, that is so sweet...

Lori said...

You are awesome!!! I had a year like that one year...well, I cry every year on the last day! ha! You really can't help but get attached. But one year, I had a small group of just 13 and they were just the neatest group of kids. I'll never forget 'em!

Lindsay said...

soooo sweet!
Sorry I have been slacking on reading everyones blog, i have missed you!

Tan said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You are an awesome teacher and a wonderful person, Lindsey! My guess is that these kids will miss you just as much as you miss them! Enjoy the next few days and just keep focused on S-U-M-M-E-R V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N!! Yeah!