Sunday, February 12, 2006

Table Tale


Since BG has moved here, her apartment has been mostly bare. After 3 months of shopping for diningroom tables, she FINALLY found a suitable one. This was almost more exciting for me then for her because I have to buy something immediatly when I want it. BG can shop and shop and shop for the perfect one, and it doesn't matter how many times she comes home empty handed. This drives me crazy, and in the last 3 months, it's happened about a zillion times. So when I got the call that she had found The One, I made her promise to wait until I could come with her to buy it. I needed the satisfaction of watching her buy it after all this!

Friday night I head over to her place and we get into her truck and drive to the store to get the much needed table. We head straight to the table, I fall in love with it immediatly, and the salesman has it taken up front for us. While we're waiting, we browse at purses and girly things. I made a pit stop, and when I come back to the purses, BG is gone!! So I continue looking, and then I hear myself being paged to customer service, about 25 feet away from where I'm standing. Turns out BG just wanted me to actually WATCH her purchase the table because I've been so anxious for this moment. How thoughtful!

In all the excitement, we completely forgot one important thing: How are WE going to get her new, unassembled, still in the box, HEAVY table upstairs into her apartment? And the other important thing I had not counted on....the table has to be put together by us! The ride back to her apartment takes us to Sears to grab the essential set of tools. As BG parks her truck, it dawns on us how heavy this thing is. I briefly thought of calling my man to help us, but then I decided that we could do this thing man free. After all, BG and I are country girls (now removed from the country), but nonetheless, we can handle this situation.

We decided to take the parts upstairs piece by piece instead of the whole box, which would have injured us FOR SURE. I was aching just thinking about one.........A piece at a time, up the stairs, and about 20 mintues later it was all assembled ready to go!! Ha, just kidding.

We began with the directions, and following them to a T, things went well up to a certain point. The screw driver didn't fit....it was too long to use on the bottom of the chairs. We tried a few other things, nothing worked. At this point we were both frustrated. We had been working on this for almost 2 hours, and making good progress, really didn't want to stop until we were done! BG suggested we get another screw driver, a shorter one, so off we go to Meijers, the only place open at midnight.

This screw driver worked, thank goodness. About an hour later, the whole project was complete. The table and chairs are beautiful and very much worth the wait, even for me!

The only complaint (and there's always a few) I have is that I woke up yesterday morning with my hands in an achy state. They hurt! BG, you owe me a manicure and hand massage!

2 comments:

Suzie said...

I just want to thank my bestest best friend in the whole world for helping me that night! If she wasn't there then I think the table would still be in the truck, instead I have a beautiful table in my dining room. Thank you very much!!!!

Lindsey said...

You're welcome. It was actually fun. I know you will help me when I have to put a table together. Oh, wait. I will BUY it already put together.