Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Almost to my vacation...





I only have a few days until my summer vacation starts. And I can't wait! Teachers get criticized for "only having to work 10 months a year" and "they get summers off so why are they complaining." Yup, we now get about 6 weeks off in the summer, and we do only go to work for about 10+ months a year. But in those 10 months, we do more than most people do in a year. And I mean A LOT MORE. I'm not complaining, just stating the facts. Ask any teacher, you'll get the same answer. Anyway, I'm looking forward to not getting up to that nasty alarm clock, not having to rush to shower and get ready, not drive 25 miles to the D half awake. I'm really looking forward to not having to be "on" for 8 hours a day without a sit down break too. Or staying after 2 hours for meetings or making copies or what have you. I love my job, wouldn't want to do anything else in the whole world, but every year at this time, I am BURNT OUT!! Completely! Every summer my creative side kicks in again and I start making things....scrapbooks, Christmas presents, afghans, quilts, whatever I can make, I do it. Because I LOVE to be crafty and make things and give them as gifts. Kenny always says I should sell them, but I don't have the "business" knack for things like he does. So my creations are generally given as gifts. Here are a couple pictures of quilts I recently made for friends that were having babies. Aren't they cute? The little boy's quilt (his name is A.J.) has a piece of *MASH* fabric in it from his dad's pillow case that he used when he was a kid. I thought it would be a neat idea to put that in there, and as it turns out, my friends Tim & Amy (the parents) loved it. Tim had no idea that Amy had given me that pillowcase a long time ago. He thought it had just been thrown away. This is the kind of stuff I LOVE to make, and you can bet I'll be making more stuff like this on my summer vacation!

4 comments:

Brandi1977 said...

Ahh to have the entire summer off! I would LOVE IT. Shot teachers deserve the break :)

Dominique said...

You have my respect. The short time that I was in sales many years ago, if I had to be "on" for presentations and client meetings, it would drain my energy for the rest of the day. And then I just felt depressed, like what is it all for? Just to feed some crazy corporate investors? Your work, oh - you so deserve the time off. Enjoy your summer. (And I love the quilts - lucky friends.)

Tasha said...

The quilts are so cute! Now I know were you get the name "crafty lou" Awww summer vacation, lucky!

Anonymous said...

AJ loves his quilt! It is a great accent to his room! It makes it so special because it has his daddy's pillowcases in it! We are both finished for the summer and are so excited to spend the summer with AJ! He is so active he is into everything and is almost walking! MIss ya!