Sunday, July 09, 2006

Where did the Smurfs Go?




I was talking to a friend recently about cartoons that some of my students watch these days, and the topic of cartoons when we were little came up. My brother and I ADORED The Smurfs. I even had a Smurf sleeping bag and sheets, and of course stuffed animals. I realized that you don't see Smurf stuff anywhere now, not like Garfield or Strawberry Shortcake or Charlie Brown or any other cartoon character that was around when I was little. What happened to The Smurfs? My parents didn't really save any of their favorite cartoon items from their childhood to share with my brother and I, but my uncle did, and he gave us a copy of The Little Rascals when we were younger. My brother and I loved it! We bought more episodes to watch, and I'm thinking that I want to buy some Smurf episodes on DVD now so that one day when I have kids I can show them the stuff that I worshiped when I was little. So that's my goal this week (Week 3 of summer vacation): find some Smurf DVDs on ebay to bid on and save for my own kids one day. And in the mean time, I'll keep the DVDs warm by taking a trip down memory lane all by myself, with Kenny sitting right next to me, of course.

3 comments:

Tasha said...

My favorite was she-ra and he-man. I also LOVED the puff-a-lumps. We got on this topic a couple of months ago at work. We were coming up with things like the transformers and the thunder cats. Remember them? I love them too!

Carolyn said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment!
On the subject of cartoons, my total ultimate faves were the Looney Tunes: bugs, daffy, sylvester etc... I don't think that anything since is even half as good! :c )
I love the pics of your man... he's got some great poses and expressions... hahaha!
we like to escape "up north" too... my mom lives on a little lake between Clare and Cadillac, it feels a million miles away from "Stressville"!

Marissa said...

I LOVED the smurfs too! LOVED! i dressed up as smurfette two halloweens in a row when i was little, and my parent's neighbor STILL calls me smurfette to this day! :)