Wednesday, August 09, 2006

August Already

I can't believe it's already August. There's so many back to school commercials and sales, and that is really the worst thing for a teacher. THE WORST. I need every single day of my vacation to recooperate from last year, and most teachers will say the same thing. So when people ask, "When do you go back?" I start getting anxiety. Ugh. This year I'm starting a new position, same school, different grade, so the anxiety level is a little higher right now. I did get into my old room today and I moved everything to my new room, so that helped take away some of the frustration. Now I can go in at my leisure and start putting the room together, however, it takes away from my last few weeks of vacation. But at this point, it's worth it. Whatever keeps that anxiety down, right?
I know that on the first day of school I'll meet my new students and fall in love with them and things will be off to a good start.
I know that the first week I'll teach the kids all the routines and rules and how to respect each other and myself.
I know that there will be over-anxious parents wanting to know every little detail of the day when they pick their children up.
I know that I'll be exhausted at the end of the day for the next 10 months.
But I also know that I am a teacher not because it's something to do, but because IT'S WHAT I AM.
Teaching is the most exciting and rewarding experience I've ever been through so far. There are lots of times during the school year when I wonder if I'll make it to June. And then there are the more important times, the ones where I catch a kid saying please for the first time, sharing toys, making connections between what I teach them and real life, lending a hand, learning to read, hugging my legs (cause they are that little)....these are the precious moments that I wait for all year, and it makes what I do worth it. So, to end on a good note:
August Blogging Challenge:
Happiness Is!
(To find out what August Blogging Challenge is, click here.)

This is what made me happy on: Wednesday, August 9th:
Going to school and moving all my stuff from my old classroom to my new classroom. I've been dreading this move all summer, and it went off without a hitch!
PS-To see pictures from my dad's birthday at Comerica Park yesterday, go here!

4 comments:

Tan said...

Good luck with the new school year! Where has the summer gone?

Brandi1977 said...

Good luck!

What grade do you teach?

Unknown said...

I have some teacher friends and I know what you are describing is a universal teacher experience (at least elementary age.) I'm glad the move went well. I've helped one of my teacher friends move her room after YEARS in the previous one and it was work!

I like the Happiness Challenge. I think today what makes me happy is the lunch I'm going to have with my sister-in-law. We haven't had a good gab in a long time and I'm excited!

Tasha said...

What grade are you gonna be teaching this year? Maybe its 1st and you can help me with Hannah. hope...hope...hope...