Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Miss Z

This is a story about one of my best friends, N. I met her in kindergarten, and through the years we became friends, along with the rest of our "girlfriends" (see my post titled Girls' Day at the Beach). N went to college close to where we grew up and it took her a little longer than she expected (7 1/2 years) because she paid for it herself and worked FULL TIME. She finally graduated last year and has been looking for a teaching job ever since. Teaching jobs are not easy to come by, so she's been subbing and playing the waiting game. This spring I heard that there was going to be an opening at my school, middle school computers, which is N's specialty. It didn't occur to me until sometime in early August that I should tell her about this.
Side Note: Since we graduated from high school almost 10 years ago, the 5 of us have kept in touch very well, and 3 of us live by each other by chance! The other 2, including N, aren't too far away.
This is exactly how the conversation when B, N and I were on 3-way on our cell phones about a month ago:

N: I'm so frustrated! I can't find a job to save my life!
B: Don't worry, something will come along. Now that 3 of us live over here on this side of the state, within miles of each other, you should be looking for jobs over here instead of there.
Me: Yeah, that'd be great if we could ALL be together here, and you and A are the last ones to move closer! Ya know, there is a middle school computer job opening up at my school....OMG....why didn't I think it sooner?!?!?
N: Uh, yeah, why didn't you? Are you serious?
B: OMG you could move over here with us!!!! Do it do it do it!!
N: L, are you for real?
Me: Yeah I'm for real. I'll be at school tomorrow for summer tutoring...want me to mention your name?
N: YES. It can't hurt. Wouldn't this be crazy, me teaching with one of my best friends?

So the next morning I went to school to do summer tutoring and mentioned something about it to the human resource secretary. She was shocked, because at that very moment she was preparing to run the add in the paper to find a new computer teacher. Talk about fate. She asked me to give her the name and number of N immediatly, which I did, and then I called N and told her and she was in disbelief at how fast this was all unfolding. N was here the next day for an interview, and hired a few hours after that. It happened so fast, and in 2 days, she's moving here!
And that is the story of how N officially became Miss Z! Congratulations! We're so proud of you!

Miss Z checkin' out her new classroom.


Me and N a few weeks ago.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm too tired (surprise) to read this right now. I need to start gearing up for the bedtime routine. I'll be back tomorrow to finish the story.

Brandi1977 said...

That's a cute story!

I am so glad you could help your friend out :)

Unknown said...

What a great thing to have your friend at your same work place. Congrats to you both!

Pugsley Toes said...

What a beautiful story! Thanks L. I still can't believe that I am packing it all up and leaving tomorrow morning to move up where you are. And then next week I will be joining you for orientation at school. It still all seems so unreal. I AM A TEACHER!!!!!!!!!!! WOOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tan said...

Ahhh...I want you for a friend!! How nice that things worked out like they did...kind of makes the new school year more exciting, doesn't it?

Tasha said...

You're awesome Lindz....