Thursday, September 14, 2006

Better Day

With yesterday's post in mind, I'm feeling better. The drama will NEVER go away. Certain people will never change, and until I make a move somewhere else, I will have to see them on a day to day basis. That's the part that drives me nuts. It's a constant reminder. Anyway, like I was saying, I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing.

Now for something...hilarious. Miss N and I are carpooling every day to school together. It's great...coffee in the morning, and a bitch session on the way home. Just what it should be! We were walking out of the school this afternoon and many times there will be the same homeless man on the corner. He was there today. He's there most days, and I can't help but think that if he used a portion of the time spent collecting money from cars driving by, he could get himself into a better situation. But who am I to judge, right? I don't know his situation. Today was a little different though. He wasn't in his wheelchair. In fact, as I looked closer, he was pushing his wheelchair from behind, completely WALKING with no problem. His wheelchair had a big bucket in it (to collect the money) and a blanket. He wheeled his chair to the corner, put the brake on it, picked up the bucket and the blanket, sat down in the chair and situated the blanket over his legs. He held the bucket out to the side, waiting for anyone to throw some money his way. I couldn't believe what I had witnessed. Good thing Miss N was with me to witness it, cause no one would have believed me! This man PRETENDED to be in a wheelchair to get people's money. I started out this post by saying this was hilarious, but it really isn't. It's sad. It was funny for a minute, because it was something that you would see on TV, that's what made me laugh, but the reality of it is the opposite of funny.

4 comments:

Tasha said...

A Day in the life of....Detroit. I've seen it happen before too. Crazy to think about it huh? I am one of the people that always tries to help and then there are these fools who ruin it for the ones really trying to get things together.

Unknown said...

The homeless "problem" for lack of a better word is such a complex issue. The questions you can ask are endless. Why is this particular man homeless? How much of what landed him in this situation is a result of his own choices, how much did circumstances conspire to put him there? Does he have emotional/mental problems that diminish his capacity to lead a different life or is this just the life he is happy to live? It could go on and on.

I can understand why your first response was to laugh and why, upon thinking it over, you are saddened by it.

I hope you have a great weekend!

Lindsay said...

AHHHHHHHHH, that ticks me off Also!
There was a guy here in TX beggind with a sign that said HOUSEFIRE.. my dog needs food, and he had his dog with him. FUnny thing is... he had nicely pressed Dockers pants on and a collared shirt, with loafers.. WHAT? Must be making good money! I was so irritaed at this guy because he was standing at the most dangerous intersection on my city, so I called the police (plus begging is 100% illegal here) and they said he was on nuetral ground (they knew exactly who i was talking about) he was on the city line between the city I live inahnd the one directly south, so all he had to do was step on step right if the Frisco police came an 1 step left if the Plano police came.... he must have done his homework. SO frustrating.. but what gets me even more... I read this study that said beggers like these two make more money then a first year teacher... doesnt that just set yah on fire!
I have always wanted to drive up and hand this man a job application for Walmart.... LOOSER!
(SORRY FOR THE NOVEL!)

Tan said...

I never hand out money. When I want to help, I swing through the nearest Burger King, pick up a combo meal and deliver it to their "bucket." I will help anyone who really needs it so if he is hungry a burger would taste FABULOUS. If not, I guess he will just have to resell the meal to pay for his drugs and whiskey...'cause I'm not helpin' with that! :)