Sunday, July 30, 2006

Rainy Sunday

Today is one of those days that just lingers. It's rainy, supposed to thunderstorm (which I like!) and it's an all-in-all blah day. I like these kinds of days, where you don't have anything pressing to take care of, time to just sit and relax. Kenny had an appointment this afternoon, but we had to cancel due to weather. So our day is free. When I came back from the gym, in the rearview mirror the sky was completely blue, like something you see in a magazine or movie. I had to turn my head and look to make sure I wasn't seeing things. It was beautiful! I wish I had my camera with me because I would have stopped and gotten a picture. Describing it just doesn't do it justice. I know many people don't like rain or storms, but I love them. They remind me of when my family lived out in the country, and you could smell the storm coming an hour before it started. My mom would always tell us to "hurry and put your toys away before it starts raining" and we would run around and grab all the toys and stash them in the barn. Then we would go inside and because we lived in a big old farm house, there was no AC, so the windows and doors would have screens in them, and you smell the storm from inside. It's one of the most vivid memories I have growing up. That smell is unforgettable. I can smell it sometimes here where we live now, only once in a while, but it never compares to when I was a kid. I would stand at the door with my hands on the screen and just breathe it in.....hmmm....what a sweet smell. Now when it rains, I still enjoy looking through the windows, safe and sound in the lovely AC. And at the beginning of every storm, as a habit, I still think to myself, "Are all my toys put away?"

1 comment:

Brandi1977 said...

Hehehehe. Cute Sotry!