Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Mess!

I spent another 4 hours working in my classroom today. I forgot to show the before pictures yesterday.
What a mess!
Here they are. Kenny brought me (thanks, honey!) a few more things that I bought this summer for my room....bookshelf....another filing cabinet.....misc free junk.....ebay-bought books.
This is my fifth year of teaching. My first year I was hired 2 days before school started, so I barely had time to buy and prepare (I wasn't ready, to say the LEAST!), but I made it work and by the end of the first week, I was ready. My second year was the best group of kids I've ever had! I was still in the same classroom, so setting up wasn't so hard because by that time I knew how I wanted things to be. My third year was almost as good as my second, and I had the same room again. My fourth year....I started out with a better, beautiful room with lots of windows and storage, every teacher's DREAM. Little did I know that this year would be the most trying of all. I won't go into great detail, but let's just say that I hope I never have to relive another period like that. I will say one last thing about last year...I knew on day 1 that it would be bad. A teacher ALWAYS knows. Great kids, bad mix. I loved them all, but together they took ALL the wind out of my sails EVERY DAY.
Back to the upcoming year....I'm so excited! Not only am I teaching something slightly different, I had to move again to a different room (ugh!) but it's sooooo worth it!! Kenny was in my new room today and he said it was the best out of all the years. I agree. Lots of windows and windowsill space (great use!) and storage in cupboards and shelves AND it's close to the door so I don't have to trudge 1/2 mile to my room with arms loaded.
Unlike last year, I am working in my room much earlier so it's not such a chore, more of an enjoyment. I truly had a good time today going through all the s#*t I've collected in the last 4 years, and throwing some of it away! Love that feeling. I also enjoyed looking at some of my stuff and thinking about kids I've taught and how it reminds me of certain lessons or students that just make me smile. I have had some of the most sensitive, outgoing, intelligent students in my 4 years of teaching. I think back to some of my teachers from time to time, and I wonder if my students will do the same with me. I hope they think about me in years to come and can hold on to just one thing that I taught them.
When my room is finished, I'll post the pictures!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
August Blogging Challenge:
Happiness Is!
(To find out what August Blogging Challenge is, click here.)
This is what made me happy on: Tuesday, August 15th:
Being able to use my sewing machine.
I love sewing, and I have missed it. Just haven't had time lately. I'm very thankful for the quiet time I got doing something I absolutely love doing.

3 comments:

Tasha said...

Can't wait to see the new classroom. I am learning so much about teachers...things I never knew!

Lindsay said...

I love helping my teacher friends decorate their rooms.....to bad we dont live closer.. i would have been up for helping!!!!

Lindsey said...

I would love the help!! Too bad you aren't closer!